Sunday, June 7, 2009

truth and agony...

just rethinkin' this quote tonight...

"if you love a person so selfishly that you cannot risk their anger, you won't ever tell them the truth they need to hear. if on the other hand, you tell a person the truth they need, but with harshness and not with the agony of a lover, they won't listen to it. but if you speak the truth with lots of love evident at the same time, there is a great chance that what you say will penetrate the heart and heal." - tim keller, galatians: living in line with the gospel.

i have played both sides of this coin. fear constantly plagues me so there is agony, but care for myself is greater than my care for others. at the same time, apathy and judgment also plague me but rather than the agony of a lover, i feel the agony of having to deal with others. ouch. lord, teach me to love!

No comments: