Sunday, May 2, 2010

[valley of vision] divine promises...

divine promises
from valley of vision

glorious jehovah, my convenant god,

all thy promises in christ jesus are
     yea and amen, and all shall be fulfilled.
thou has spoken then, and they shall be done,
     commanded, and they shall come to pass.
yet i have often doubted thee,
     have lived at times as if there were no god.
lord, forgive me that death in life,
     when i have found something apart from thee,
     when i have been content with ephemeral things.

but through thy grace i have repented;
thou hast given me to read my pardon
        in the wounds of jesus,
     and my soul doth trust in him, my god incarnate,
     the ground of my life, the spring of my hope.

teach me to be resigned to thy will,
     to delight in thy law,
     to have no will but thine,
     to believe that everything thou doest is for my good.
help me to leave my concerns in thy hands,
     for thou has power over evil,
     and bringest from it an infinite progression of good,
     until thy purposes are fulfilled.

bless me with abraham's faith
     that staggers not at promises through unbelief.
may i not instruct thee in my troubles,
     but glorify thee in my trials;
grant me a distinct advance in the divine life;
     may i reach a higher platform,
     leave the mists of doubt and fear in the valley,
     and climb to hill-tops of eternal security in christ,
        by simply believing he cannot lie,
        or turn from his purpose.

give me the confidence i ought to have in him
      who is worthy to be praised,
      and who is blessed evermore.

No comments: