Tuesday, September 29, 2009

psalm 127:1-2

1Unless the LORD builds the house,
those who build it labor in vain.
Unless the LORD watches over the city,
the watchman stays awake in vain.
2It is in vain that you rise up early
and go late to rest,
eating the bread of anxious toil;
for he gives to his beloved sleep.
- psalm 127:1-2

the lord really used this scripture last week to convict me. for most of my life i have run at a very fast pace (hence the blog title), it comes natural to me and i think it is how i am wired. the lord has been teaching me the difference between just going going going, and walking in his spirit as i am going going going.

i have noticed that i sometimes do a lot of things or am involved in a lot of things that perhaps i am not supposed to be. i do it for a couple of reasons:
  • i just want to (my selfishness and desire for comfort)
  • it would look good for me to do it (my pride and my name)
  • i think that if i do not do it that it will not get done (not believing god's sovereignty and power)
well these verses shoot those reasons down. i am guilty of building in vain or staying awake in vain. i am often rising early, staying up late, full of anxiety or just working until i'm exhausted. oh, how i forget that the lord is powerful, in complete control and if he wanted, he could take care of my to do list while i sleep. sleep, just like sabbath, is a gift to help me to live by faith, requiring me not to work all the time, as i trust him for my future well-being.

i know there are times when i will be rising early and staying up late and that is part of life in the kingdom, but here i am refering to when i run hard in my own strength or in anxiety or for my own name. vanity! pointless! trust the lord and rest!

No comments: